thanks to Katie Tripp for capturing this!

thanks to Katie Tripp for capturing this!
thanks to Katie Tripp for capturing this!

Wednesday, June 29, 2011

the earth

By the end of each day, the rusty orange Kenyan earth seems to have found its way into every crevice of my feet, hands and clothing. This was particularly apparent yesterday after playing a serious game of football(soccer) with the Primarians at the conclusion of their exams. The earth, like the character of the students at Our Lady of Grace is vibrant and encompassing. At the end of each day, my clothes are not merely tinged orange, but rather my heart is fuller and my anxiety is eased by the smiles, handshakes, stories, questions and prayers of the children and young adults with whom I am blessed to spend each day.
We, Fellows, may think our day starts early (at 5:30 a.m.), but the students begin at 4:00 a.m. with personal study before Rosary and Mass. Despite their early start, their energy seems boundless. It is the energy and enthusiasm of the students on which I draw for my own sustenance. I hope and pray that their enthusiasm and zeal will continue to inspire me even upon my return to the U.S. where I plan to continue to work on behalf of Father Tom’s Kids at Our Lady of Grace School.
Perhaps the little bit about the students’ enthusiasm for learning, for football and for joy in the small things that I have shared with you, can inspire you all to enjoy your family, friends, work and all of our other blessings in the United States. I know that I have already become acquainted with “a new way of seeing things,” perhaps you will, too!

No comments:

Post a Comment